– Allen People captain Joel Chouinard made it official final night time saying his retirement from professional hockey. The 2008 sixth spherical NHL draft selection of the Colorado Avalanche finishes his pro career with 534 games performed including 204 in the AHL. The term “class act” describes Joel Chouinard each on and off the ice. Joel’s career in Allen spans simply three seasons together with two seasons sporting the “C” on his chest.
– How did Joel find yourself enjoying for the Allen People? You possibly can thank his wife, Courtney. The story goes back to when he met Courtney when he was enjoying in Cleveland for the Lake Erie Monsters (AHL) and considered one of his teammates was Justin Mercier. As Joel tells the story, “Justin’s sister, Courtney, went to school at the University of Michigan and over spring break she came and visited her brother. Their parents are from Erie, Pennsylvania and Cleveland is a midpoint between Erie and Ann Arbor so Cleveland was the perfect spot for the whole family to meet. They would come to watch Justin play and after I met them, to watch me as well. That is how I met Courtney and it has been great ever since.” Allen fans can thank Courtney for recruiting Joel for the People. While she was attending the College of Michigan Regulation Faculty she took an internship in Dallas which led to a full time position after she graduated. Steve Martinson was the benefactor of the transfer to Dallas.
– Joel Chouinard played just three seasons in Allen and was one in every of the best defensmen in the ECHL. Right here is how Joel ranks amongst all ECHL defensmen whenever you mix his three seasons in Allen.
3rd – Assists (95)
4th – Points (123)
5th – Video games Performed (205)
10th – Objectives (28)
– In 2016-17 Joel gained the ECHL Plus Performer Award, leading the league in plus/minus at +47.
– Although Chouinard played just three seasons in Allen he is close to the prime of the all-time document listing for defensemen in every category. Joel was an Ironman his first two seasons enjoying in all 72 games. Listed here are the all-time leaders for Allen defensemen:
247 – Tyler Ludwig
229 – Mike Berube
222 – David Makowski
205 – Joel Chouinard
174 – David Makowski
172 – Tyler Ludwig
123 – Joel Chouinard
55 – David Makowski
51 – Tyler Ludwig
42 – Eric Roy
28 – Joel Chouinard
121 – Tyler Ludwig
119 – David Makowski
95 – Joel Chouinard
– In case you take a look at single season data, Joel is the all-time chief for the People in plus/minus with +47 in 2016-17. In the 10 yr historical past of the People no different defenseman has had a plus/minus greater than +28.
– Simply two Allen defensemen have performed in all 72 games in a season. Aaron Gens was the first in 2014-15. Joel completed the feat in 2016-17 and 2017-18.
– Joel had 51 factors (12G, 39A) in 2017-18 which was the fourth highest single season level complete by a defenseman in group history. His 39 assists that season can also be the fourth highest complete in group history.
– It has been fairly a yr for the Chouinard household with the buy of their new house, a new pet, the arrival of their first baby, and now Joel’s retirement. I am positive all Allen fans be a part of me in wishing Joel, Courtney, Julien and their canine Harley the greatest going ahead. Here is what Joel posted on the Allen People Weblog last night time, “Thanks everyone! The last three years have been some of the best of my life. You guys were a big part of that!! And yes, to answer some of your questions, I will be around the AEC for games next year, just not on the ice.”
Chances are you’ll keep in mind John Snowden when he performed 22 video games for Allen during the 2013-14 season. John had a distinguished nine yr professional career of over 700 video games but my first memory of him was when he was enjoying for the Fort Value Brahmas in 2013. On February 13, 2013 Snowden scored five objectives in a recreation including 4 straight objectives in the second period as Fort Value beat Arizona 7-1.
– John retired after the 2013-14 season and moved to Orlando to attend the Golf Academy of America to pursue a level in golf management and get hold of his PGA educating pro card. John was a scratch golfer. Nevertheless, John never gave up on the concept of teaching for a dwelling and coached youth hockey in Orlando while he was attending the golf academy. When the alternative to develop into the assistant coach for the Orlando Photo voltaic Bears for the 2015-16 season came up, John jumped at the probability. He was promoted to the associate coach in Orlando (2017-18). Orlando was affiliated with the Toronto Maple Leafs however that affiliation ended after the 2017-18 season when Toronto affiliated with the enlargement Newfoundland Growlers. Toronto recruited John to move to Newfoundland to develop into the assistant coach with the Growlers. 2018-19 has been quite a season for the Snowdens. You’ll be able to only think about the logistics of getting family, pets, automobiles and so forth. from Florida to Newfoundland. Much of this fell to John’s wife, Janelle, who was pregnant with their third youngster.
– In January Newfoundland Growlers head coach, Ryane Clowe, stepped down because of concussion related medical issues that date back to 2014 when his 10 yr NHL career was reduce brief. In an actual vote of confidence John was named the permanent head coach and the staff recruited a new assistant coach.
– Newfoundland gained the North Division Championship and beat Brampton in the first round of the playoffs which included certainly one of the most memorable days of John’s life. Two days ago on Tuesday, April 23, John and Janelle welcomed their third youngster and first woman into the world as Rowan Elizabeth Snowden was born at 1:56 am. It was the start of an extended day for John as at 9:45 pm his group beat Brampton Three-2 in additional time to advance to the second round of the Kelly Cup playoffs.
– I reached out to John to ask him what it was like dealing with his first ever playoff collection as a head coach, touring to Brampton whereas Janelle was about to offer start and all that occurred on Tuesday. Here is what occurred in John’s personal phrases. “Barry, to sum it all up it was a whirlwind. After recreation five in Brampton on Saturday I jumped on a late flight back to St. John to get back house as quick as potential. I knew Janelle was shut and I was not missing it! I was capable of get back to have fun Janelle’s birthday on Sunday and spend Easter with the boys. I held follow Monday morning and then went straight to the hospital. Early on Tuesday morning (1:56 am) we welcomed our lovely daughter, Rowan Elizabeth, into the world. I acquired one hour of sleep, rushed residence to examine on the boys before heading to the rink to get our morning meetings prepared. My employees then delivered the conferences and morning skate while I went again to the hospital with the boys to satisfy their sister and see mom. After leaving the hospital we went house, I obtained the boys to a associates home, took a one hour nap and headed again to the rink for the recreation. With the ability to win our first collection as a workforce and franchise on the similar day as having our daughter was superb. I’m a really fortunate man to have a tremendous wife and family and with the ability to work with an elite group with the Maple Leafs and Growlers that perceive the importance of family. April 23 is a day I will always remember!
– It has been quite the yr for the Snowden household and it might get even higher with the Growlers going robust in the playoffs. Congrats to John and Janelle, massive brothers Aiden and Keegan, and new arrival Rowan.
KELLY CUP PLAYOFFS
– The ultimate piece of the second spherical playoff puzzle fell into place last night time as Tulsa superior by beating Kansas City 6-2 in the only collection that went to a recreation seven.
– In contrast to the NHL where all 4 division champions have been defeated in the opening spherical of the playoffs, all 4 ECHL division champions advanced.
– The higher seeded staff gained seven of eight first round collection. The one exception was Manchester who was the #3 seed in the North Division and beat #2 seed Adirondack 4-1.
– I posted this a couple of weeks in the past and needed to replace the information:
So much for the concept when you make the Kelly Cup playoffs any workforce can win. In the last 14 seasons the Kelly Cup champion has by no means completed worse than seventh in the common season. In 12 of the last 14 seasons the Kelly Cup champion finished in the prime 5 throughout the regular season. Here is the common season rank of the 16 groups that made the playoffs. The teams marked with an asterisk have advanced to the second round.
11. Fort Wayne
13. Kansas Metropolis
15. South Carolina
– The second round of the Kelly Cup playoffs get underway tonight as Cincinnati takes on Toledo in the Central Division finals. Cincinnati’s document towards Toledo in the common season was 5-2-2-0.
– Getting gamers added to the roster for the playoffs who spent the majority of the season in the AHL may be the distinction in profitable and dropping. Tulsa is a prefect instance. The #1 seeded Oilers fell behind to #4 seeded Kansas City in the Mountain Division semi-finals Three-2 and had to win two games at house to advance. Tulsa was led in the two wins by Alex Dostie who played only 5 games with Tulsa during the regular season, just sufficient to qualify to play in the playoffs. Alex was selected the #1 star in video games six and seven. In recreation seven last night time Alex had a hat trick together with the recreation profitable objective. Dostie is main all ECHL players in the playoffs in factors (13) and objectives (9).
DID YOU KNOW: It you had to take a look at one stat from the first round of the playoffs to help predict second round success it could be aim differential. Here is the listing: